Monday, March 19, 2012

Sprinkler system aids firefighters at factory fire, no one injured (Lake Forest, IL)

Sprinklers held the fire in check, and firefighters quickly put out the flames, according to Fire Media Affairs. The blaze didn’t spread beyond the hopper and no one was hurt.

Laundry room fire suppressed by sprinklers at restaurant (Newark, OH)

A cook called 911 shortly before 9 a.m. after smelling smoke from the laundry room. The fire, which was doused by the building's sprinkler system, was contained to the dryer, Newark firefighter Kelly Smith said. The restaurant opened at noon, only an hour later than scheduled.

Sprinkler system contains fire at public library (Berkeley, CA)

The fire took place in one of the public bathrooms. Staff and the public were evacuated safely.

Fire put out by sprinkler system at hardware store (York, Maine)

The fire was discovered in the paint section of the store and knocked down by a sprinkler system, according to the emergency reports.

Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at gourmet market (Hallandale Beach, FL)

Fire officials have said it appears the fire, which started near the buffet area, was accidental. The market's sprinkler system extinguished the fire.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sprinklers control fire at retail store and yoga studio (Dedham, MA)

The store's sprinkler system activated and knocked down most of the flames. Firefighters had to connect a hose to quell the rest of the blaze. About six employees and an unknown number of customers were in the store and yoga studio at the time of the fire, but no one reported injuries

Classroom fire contained by sprinkler system at high school (El Paso, TX)

A Molotov cocktail or incendiary device was thrown through a window at El Dorado High School early Sunday morning. The School District said the device started a fire which triggered a sprinkler system. The classroom, which is used to teach English courses, should be cleaned up and operational by Wednesday.

Sprinkler system credited with saving residents from devastating fire (Loudoun, VA)

A sprinkler system in an apartment building near Countryside is credited with saving residents from a devastating fire. Firefighters determined the fire started in a laundry room. There were no reported civilian or firefighter injuries.

Sprinkler system extinguishes an early morning fire at superstore (Phoenix, AZ)

Someone set fire to a clothing rack inside the store at 4:45 AM. By the time fire crews arrived, the fire was already extinguished by the sprinkler system.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Sprinkler system aids firefighters at apartment building fire (Westborough, MA)

The fire began in shrubs and mulch bordering the apartment building. Fire Capt. Calvin Lawrence said a casually discarded cigarette may have started the fire. Sprinkler system prevented further damage.

Sprinklers make the difference in manufacturing plant fire (Kamloops, BC)

Thanks to the company's sprinkler system fire crews were able to get a handle on the flames before it got out of control.

Damage limited at landmark church thanks to sprinkler system (Montreal, QC)

The fire originated on the third floor in the kitchen. “A sprinkler system limited the spread of the flames,” Chief Mario Trottier said.

Electrical fire at supermarket contained by sprinkler system (Weehawken, NJ)

A fire broke out in the meat section after an electrical supply cable shorted and set a stack of Styrofoam meat trays on fire. "The sprinklers did what they're designed to do, and the department reacted quickly," North Hudson Regional Fire Director Jeff Welz said.

Sprinkler system contains apartment fire, occupant will not be displaced (Dayton, OH)

“The sprinkler system contained the fire, which began in a sofa,” Dayton District Chief Joe Meyer said. A couple hundred occupants were evacuated safety because of the quick notification of the sprinkler system.

Sprinkler extinguishes fire during Atlantic 10 men's basketball tournament (Atlantic City, NJ)

No injuries reported.  A food warmer caught fire in the hallway outside the locker rooms. The building did not need to be evacuated, Boardwalk Hall General Manager Greg Tesone said.  “The sprinkler system came on like it was supposed to,” Tesone said. “By the time the fire department got here it was already out.”

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Residential sprinkler system extinguishes house dryer fire (Long Grove, IL)

Just before firefighters were going to release water on the fire, the home’s sprinkler system kicked on and extinguished the fire in about 15 seconds, according to the fire district. Everyone evacuated from the home and there were no injuries.

Sprinklers make the difference in fire at paper-shredding and recycling company (Spokane, WA)

Sprinklers control apartment fire above restaurant (Media, PA)

Lower Merion Chief Fire Officer Charles McGarvey said the resident of the apartment had left a pot on the stove then gone out. The sprinkler activated and kept the fire in check until firefighters arrived."I am convinced if  it had not been for those sprinklers, we'd still be there,"  McGarvey said Wednesday morning.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Sprinkler system saves Uncle Ron's bar allowing Uncle Kracker concert to go on without delay (Lincoln, NE)

Fire in downtown Yakima quickly extinguished (Yakima, WA)

Restaurant fire quickly managed by sprinkler system (Medford, OR)

School fire extinguished by sprinkler system, students returned to class within the hour (Bracebridge, ON)

Students at Bracebridge and Muskoka Lakes Secondary School were evacuated briefly this morning following a fire in the school’s woodworking shop. The fire was reported at 10 a.m., and was soon extinguished by the school sprinkler system. Students were evacuated as a precaution, but returned to class within the hour.

No injuries were reported.

Sprinkler system limits fire damage to apartment garbage can (Bend, OR)

Tenants reported smoke and fire in the garage of a unit of the four-plex, Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki said. The building is equipped with a fire sprinkler system, and the garage fire was put out by a sprinkler head activation in the garage, Derlacki said. The fire was caused by a cigarette improperly discarded into a trash can that had paper in it, Derlacki said. The cigarette ignited the paper and spread to the shelf.

But thanks to the sprinkler, damage was limited to the garbage can and adjacent shelving unit, Derlacki said, estimating losses at just $500 to the building and $50 to contents. “Without the sprinkler system, this fire could have easily displaced the four families living in the building,” he said in a news release. Instead, he said, “All tenants of the building will be able to stay in their homes tonight.”

Sprinkler System extinguishes fire inside Pottery Barn Kids at Eastview Mall (Rochester, NY)

Firefighters say there was a small fire inside the store, but it was put out by the sprinkler system before firefighters arrived.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sprinkler system puts out fire at middle school, 1,300 students and 80 staff evacuate safely (Temple, AZ)

A fire at Tempe's Kyrene Middle School caused the evacuation of about 1,300 students and 80 staff members on Thursday morning. A teacher noticed smoke coming out of a classroom at the school moments before the sprinkler system was activated and the fire was put out. The fire was caused by an electrical motor failure in the skylight system. One student complained about breathing problems, but no other injuries were reported, according to the city of Tempe.

Fire sprinklers prove effectiveness in athletic club dryer fire (Lexington, KY)

Firefighters rushed out to the Lexington Athletic Club early Thursday morning, but sprinklers did their job before crews even arrived. Officials say towels caught fire inside a dryer. The sprinkler system inside the laundry room doused the flames. There were no reported injuries.

Sprinkler system doused refrigerator fire at the University of Texas chemistry building (Austin, TX)

Crews were called to Welch Hall on the University of Texas campus shortly after 3 a.m. Thursday. By the time they arrived, Lieutenant Jim Baker with AFD said sprinklers had already doused the flames of a refrigerator on fire. Since the refrigerator housed dangerous chemicals, the call was upgraded to a hazardous materials fire.

Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at church preschool (Conyers, GA)

Kids Zone on the campus of Church in the Now was evacuated Wednesday evening after a fire started in the back of a refrigerator. Rockdale County Fire and Rescue Public Information Officer Sharon Webb said the fire activated the building's sprinkler system which extinguished the fire.

Webb said none of the occupants was injured.

Sprinkler system contains apartment fire at Loras College (Dubuque, Iowa)

Authorities say a meth lab explosion caused a fire at a Loras Collage apartment building early Wednesday. The sprinkler system went off and damage was limited to the bathroom.