Friday, June 28, 2013

Waste processing plant fire squelched by fire sprinkler system (Oak Ridge, TN)

Despite the fire which occurred in a waste processing plant the night of June 23, no hazardous materials were emitted. When fire crews arrived to the scene of the incident, the fire had been put out, and no one was injured.

Sprinkler system puts out fire at off-campus apartment building (Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA)

The fire was caused by a lit candle that tipped over and engaged sprinklers on the eighth floor.
“The fire actually did not do much damage because the sprinkler engaged so quickly, as it was designed to do,” said University Crossings media relations representative and Larry Greenberg,

Another apartment fire controlled by automatic sprinkler system (Hagerstown, MD)

An apartment building was evacuated Thursday night after a small fire broke out inside one of the units, according to city fire official at the scene.  Damage was minimal, and it appeared that mostly clothes were destroyed before the building’s sprinkler system extinguished the blaze.  “The sprinkler system did the job it is supposed to do tonight and this is a good reason for people to ensure that they are installed,” said Hagerstown Fire Department Captain Adam Hopkins.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sprinklers successful in controlling newspaper press room fire (Youngstown, OH)

An air-handling unit in The Vindicator’s press room caught fire shortly after 2 p.m. Tuesday.
The Youngstown Fire Department responded within minutes, but the majority of the fire had already been extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system, said Youngstown Fire Chief John O’Neill.
The fire was contained to a small area of the press room. No one was injured, and nearly all company operations returned to normal after an interruption of about an hour.

“The good things are no one was injured, we will print on time and the alarm and sprinkler systems worked as planned. The Youngstown Fire Department was a huge help and we heartily thank them,” said Mark A. Brown, general manager.

Garbage chute fire extinguished by sprinkler system (Windsor, ON)

Windsor firefighters were kept busy across the city after two unrelated fires broke out around the same time after 11pm, Monday evening ...

In the second incident, firefighters were called to 810 Ouellette for reports of smoke in the building.
Firefighters investigated smoke in the building’s garbage chute and it appears as though the fire was successfully extinguished by a sprinkler.

Sprinkler system extinguishes stovetop fire in apartment (South Boston, VA)

Phillips said the fire started from the kitchen stove in apartment 116 and caused the sprinkler system to go off in the apartment extinguishing the fire.  No one was injured.  The fire occurred in the evening.