Saturday, April 27, 2013

Fire sprinklers eliminate fire at sauna (Mount Prospect, IL)

*** FIRE DEPARTMENT REPORTED - NO MEDIA COVERAGE *** On April 26, 2013 at 2:37 p.m., the Mount Prospect Fire Department responded to a report of smoke in the building at 1701 West Golf Road in Mount Prospect. As firefighters entered the building to investigate, they encountered moderate smoke conditions. The fire was located in a portable sauna unit and was being controlled by the building’s automatic fire sprinkler system.  The smoldering fire was then extinguished by firefighters. The fire was out at approximately 2:50 p.m.

A single automatic fire sprinkler activated to control the fire until the Fire Department arrived.  The fire appears to be accidental in nature caused by an electric/mechanical malfunction of the portable sauna unit.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Fire sprinklers show worth in house fire (Ventura, CA)

A fire that began in the kitchen ended soon after thanks to the home's fire sprinklers. An unattended pot of oil that overflowed onto the burners was to blame for the fire's outbreak, and the fire sprinkler controlled the fire until fire crews arrived. No one was hurt in the fire. 

Medical facility fire stopped by fire sprinkler system (Sussex, WI)

A fire that began in a storage room at Quad Med was likely caused by the malfunction of a heating element. When fire crews arrived, the fire had been put out by the fire sprinkler system. The responding fire department reported that the fire sprinkler limited the amount of damage caused by the fire.

Apartment fire suppressed by fire sprinklers (Champaign, IL)

Fire sprinklers once again proved their worth in an apartment fire that started in the basement's trash chute. The sprinkler system activated and put out the fire, and no injuries were reported.

Fire at warehouse contained by fire sprinklers (Bridgeport, CT)

A warehouse where tires are melted had a fire break out in one of the machines. The sprinkler system helped to suppress the fire until fire crews arrived, and no one was reported injured in the incident.

Fire sprinklers help to knock down university fire (Saginaw, MI)

An early morning fire that began near a kiln in a university's arts center was eliminated thanks to the building's fire sprinklers and fire crews. No one was reported injured as a result of the incident.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fire sprinklers suppress arson fire at retail store (Fort Pierce, FL)

Fire officials are ruling the cause of a fire that started in the early afternoon at a retail store as arson. The fire started in the paper products aisle, and the fire sprinkler kicked on to keep the fire in control until fire crews arrived. 

"The fire sprinklers did exactly what they were supposed to do. If it wasn't for the fire sprinklers, there would have been more extensive damage," Fire District Captain Derek Foxx said.

Kitchen fire suppressed by fire sprinkler (Meriden, CT)

Fire sprinklers kept a kitchen fire in an upper level apartment from spreading to other apartments. By the time fire crews arrived, most of the fire was eliminated. 

Deputy Fire Marshal John Yacovino reported that the fire could have been much worse if fire sprinklers had not been present.

Fire sprinklers eliminate automotive repair shop fire (Hoover, AL)

Fire crews arrived to an early afternoon fire that began in a paint booth of an automotive repair shop. The shop's fire sprinkler system doused the flames, and no injuries were reported. 

"This is a good example of what sprinklers do," Hoover fire Executive Officer Rusty Lowe said. "These prevented a fire from becoming a lot larger and causing more damage and perhaps even injuries."

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Kitchen fire at senior citizen complex extinguished by sprinkler system (Stamford, CT)

Firefighters say they responded to a call early this morning at a high-rise senior citizen housing complex in Stamford after two people started a fire in their kitchen. Officials say the building's indoor sprinkler system extinguished the flames by the time emergency crews arrived. No one was hurt.

Arson fire at fraternity controlled by sprinkler system, no injuries reported (Orono, ME)

The fire at the Phi Kappa Sigma house on College Avenue began about 11 p.m. and was quickly extinguished by the house’s sprinkler system, Orono fire Lt. Joel Sides said.  He said that fire damage was contained to the attic and that no one was injured.  UMaine spokeswoman Margaret Nagle said Saturday that she was told that the fire started in a small mattress on the third floor, which includes some student living space and an attic.

Fire sprinklers credited with saving lives and property at condo complex (Vancouver, BC)

Fire crews responded to an early morning blaze on the city's west side. As Quinn Campbell reports, fire officials say this blaze could have been much worse if it weren't for a properly working sprinkler system in the building.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Sprinklers control fire at high school (Wheaton, IL)

The fire occurred at Wheaton North High School at approximately 7 a.m. in a closet area within a classroom hallway. The fire was brought under control within several minutes by the fire sprinkler system. Classes were not in session at the time of the fire, but the school was occupied. All building occupants were safely evacuated. The fire did not cause any injuries.

Fire sprinklers save popular movie theater, no injuries reported (Lexington, KY)

A fire broke out inside the Movie Tavern off Richmond Road in Lexington, forcing everyone out of the building.  Firefighters were called to the scene around noon. When they arrived, they found a fire in the office on the first floor.  The sprinkler system already had most of the fire contained by the time crews got there, but everyone in the building was evacuated as a precaution.

Sprinklers do their job after lighting causes fire at Old Town Hall (Exeter, NH)