Monday, September 24, 2012

Kitchen fire at college dorm controlled by sprinkler system (Philadelphia, PA)

A fire broke out in a fourth floor college dorm room late Saturday evening. According to House Dean Trish Williams, a resident was cooking, and a toaster had set off the fire. University Police Sergeant Lawrence Salotti said the building’s sprinkler system had been activated. All building occupants were evacuated, and there were no injuries.

Sprinkler system aids firefighters at restaurant kitchen fire (San Diego, CA)

A fire erupted inside Babbo's Bar and Grille in University Heights Monday. The building's sprinklers went off helping crews put out the fire, which appears to have started in the kitchen.

University dorm fire was extinguished by sprinkler system (Salem, MA)

A fire that started in a residence hall at Salem State University is being investigated as arson, University officials said. Around 1:40 a.m., scrap paper and some posters caught fire in the trash room of Atlantic Hall, a dorm on the central campus, said Karen Cady, spokeswoman for school. The fire was quickly put out, and students evacuated the building, she said. They were let back into the dorm about an hour later. “The sprinkler extinguished everything,” Cady said.

Sprinklers credited with putting out nursing home fire (Sykesville, MD)

A small fire on Friday evening at a retirement community was accidental in nature, and was put out quickly because of sprinklers, according to the State Fire Marshals' office. No injuries were reported in the incident.

Sprinkler system aids firefighters at disposal and recycling facility fire (Spokane Valley, WA)

Fire crews responded to a fire in a large garbage pile outside a disposal and recycling facility. The sprinklers went off in the building, which authorities said likely saved the building.

Fire at apartment complex laundry room contained by sprinkler system (Coon Rapids, MN)

A sprinkler doused a fire in the laundry room on the second floor of a Coon Rapids apartment complex. “It’s what we call a sprinkler save,” said Fire Marshal Todd Williams.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sprinklers prove effectiveness in single-family residence fire (San Luis Obispo, CA)

Fire Department personnel responded to a structure fire at a single-family residence. Firefighters found a fire confined to the garage. A single residential sprinkler system activated and held the fire in check until firefighters arrived to completely extinguish the garage and check for hot spots. There were no injuries to fire personnel or the public.

Sprinkler system controls fire at electro-plating business (Pinellas Park, FL)

A train conductor noticed flames at an electro-plating business and called 911. By the time firefighters got there, the company's sprinkler system had put a lot of the fire out, and crews were able to manage the rest.

Commercial fire contained by sprinkler system (Waseca, MN)

A fire inside Emerson Network Power was contained to an assembly room. "The sprinkler system did its job," Waseca Fire Chief Gary Conrath said. No one was working in the building when the fire apparently started in an electric panel box. So, if the alarm and sprinkler system hadn't been working properly, the fire could have spread quickly through the large plant.

Sprinkler system extinguishes residence hall fire at the University of Southern Maine (Gorham, MA)

A fire at the University of Southern Maine was intentionally set in a residence hall trash can around 2:30 a.m. on Monday. A sprinkler head in the closet extinguished the fire. There was no fire or smoke damage beyond the closet. Students living in the hall were safety evacuated and the dorm was reopened to students at 5 a.m.