Friday, October 24, 2014

Fire officials credit sprinkler system with minimizing damage in school fire (Bozeman, MT)

The Rae and Sourdough Fire Departments were dispatched to the Heritage Christian School for a fire alarm at 5:09 a.m. A deputy was first on the scene and advised there was heavy smoke in the building. The fire was declared under control at 6:37 a.m. and there were no injuries reported.

The fire department reports that the fire and associated damage was minimized because of the fire sprinkler and alarm system installed during the last remodel of the building. On Aug. 25, 2012, the school sustained significant damage in arson-related fire.

Fire at University of Illinois laboratory extinguished by sprinkler system (Champaign, IL)

Nobody was hurt in a fire at a University of Illinois laboratory on Wednesday afternoon. Urbana Fire Marshal Phil Edwards said firefighters were called to Roger Adams Laboratory (600 S. Mathews Ave.) at 4:13 p.m. We got a call that somebody reported smoke and flames coming from a closet in one of the rooms,” Edwards said.  By the time firefighters arrived, the building’s sprinkler system had already put out the fire, he said. Since the fire took place in an electrical closet, firefighters believe that electrical problems may have been the cause.

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Fire sprinkler system saves Chevrolet dealership from significant damage (Medford, OR)

A sprinkler prevented what could have been millions of dollars in damage when a fire broke out at Airport Chevrolet early today, fire officials said. Medford Fire-Rescue reported crews responded to a fire alarm at the business, 3001 Biddle Road, at 7:24 a.m.  A sprinkler had activated, controlling the spread of flames, but there was still a small fire in the workshop area, which crews snuffed by 7:38 a.m. There were no injuries reported

Unattended cooking fire extinguished by sprinkler system at Oasis Grand Destinations Resort (Mesquite, NV)

Two people were transported to Mesa View for evaluation of smoke inhalation after an unattended pot with oil and water in it caught fire Saturday evening at the Oasis Grand Destinations Resort. The entry team reported that the fire was out and that multiple sprinkler heads had been activated. The automatic sprinklers extinguished the fire and limited the fire damage to the stove top and some cabinets immediately above the stove. Upon searching the unit, firefighters discovered a 47 year old male face down and unconscious in the bedroom.  It is believed that he had an underlying medical condition which prevented him from responding to the fire and evacuating from the building.  His 8 year old son was also transported to Mesa View as a precaution in stable condition.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Fire at Menards store put out by sprinkler system, suspect being held (Evansville, IN)

EvansvillePolice and fire departments were called out to the eastside Menards shortlyafter 4:00 pm for a fire in the back section of the store. Investigators saythe store's sprinkler system immediately activated and put out the flames. EPD confirms one employee was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.A Robards, Kentucy man is behind bars, accused of starting the fire.

Sprinkler system acts quickly to extinguish apartment fire (Pembroke, MA)

A small fire at a Pembroke Woods apartment building recently forced residents to evacuate, but was put out by the building’s sprinkler system. At about 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 14, a fire was reported.  Pembroke Fire Chief Jim Neenan said the fire took place in one room of the apartment, where the resident had improperly disposed of a cigarette.  No one was hurt in the fire.

Another apartment building saved by fire sprinkler system (Pullman, WA)

A kitchen stove and cabinets in a third floor apartment in Pullman were damaged when a pot on a stove caught fire about 2:30 p.m. Saturday. It was extinguished by the building's sprinkler system, the fire department reported.  No injuries reported.  The unit was occupied by a family of three.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Sprinkler system activates to help control fire at paper company (Williamsport, MD)

The Maryland Paper Company in Williamsport is recoveringThursday after machinery caught fire late Wednesday night.  According to Deputy Chief State Fire MarshalJason Mowbray, the fire originated in a 2011 JCB Front End Loader, which isused to manipulate and handle paper for the products the company creates. Thefire then spread to the flammable products nearby. There were no injuriesreported, and the only damage the company sustained was the loss of the FrontEnd Loader and the replacement of the sprinkler head system.

Residents of historic apartment building saved with help from fire sprinkler system (Minneapolis, MN)

Four people escaped an apartment fire in Minneapolis overnight. Crews say the fire broke out around 11 p.m. Wednesday on the third floor of the Stonehouse Square Apartments on the 200 block of Broadway Street Northeast. The fire was contained to one unit and was extinguished by a sprinkler system in the apartment complex, firefighters say. The fire chief says the fire appears to have started on the stove.

Automatic fire sprinkler system helps minimize damage in apartment fire (Brattleboro, VT)

A fire that originated inside a Western Avenue building early Thursday morning left only one room and part of the roof damaged. The building was totally occupied at the time of the fire, Brattleboro Fire Chief Mike Bucossi said. According to Bucossi, the fire started where the vent pipe furnace comes off the pellet furnace. It traveled up the wall and into the attic space.  "Two of the sprinkler heads activated and it really helped to contain the fire," said Bucossi. "It made a big difference in the overall outcome of how serious this fire could have been."