Monday, October 28, 2013

Sprinklers control fire in parking garage (Lexington, KY)

A fire began during the early morning hours of October 25 in a parking garage located beneath a condominium complex. The fire sprinklers and alarms were activated, and the sprinklers contained the fire until the fire crews came to the scene and eliminated it completely. No injuries were reported in the incident.

Damage minimized at four-story apartment building thanks to fire sprinklers (Portland, ME)

An unattended stove while cooking was the cause of a fire which began in a second-floor apartment on Friday, October 25. Firefighters arrived to the scene at about 10 p.m. and praised the building's fire sprinkler system, with Fire Chief David Jackson saying that the fire could have been much very dangerous had it not been for the sprinkler system. 

"The systems worked exactly as they should have," Jackson said.

Fire sprinkler system extinguished midday fire at hospital (Philadelphia, PA)

No one was injured as a result of a fire that broke out at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. HUP also continued to see patients while the situation was ongoing. The fire began at around 12 p.m. in the basement of the Founders Building, when construction workers were removing medical equipment from one of the rooms. When the fire broke out, the fire sprinklers were able to quickly put it out, Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said. The basement room in the Founders Building where the fire originated suffered “minimal damages,” according to Rush.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Fire sprinklers prove worth in restaurant arson fire (Austin, TX)

A break-in and attempted arson occurred in a restaurant in downtown Austin in the early morning of Monday, October 21. The fire was eliminated by the restaurant's fire sprinkler system, leaving the establishment with limited damage. There were no injuries.

Sprinkler system puts out hotel fire (West Seneca, NY)

A fire that began in the kitchenette of one of the Staybridge Suites Buffalo the morning of October 20th caused an evacuation of 83 guests as well as hotel employees. No one was injured, thanks in part to the fire sprinkler system, which extinguished the flames. 

Seneca Fire Chief Eric Conley said, "Everybody got out safely, and that's the important thing. The fire was put out quickly by the sprinkler system, and it was confined to the kitchen area where it started."

Fire contained by sprinkler system at apartment (Lake in the Hills, IL)

A fire broke out in the kitchen of an apartment on Thursday, October 17 evening; the fire sprinkler system in the building activated and kept the fire contained to the kitchen until fire crews arrived to eliminate the flames and ventilate the smoke. No one was injured in the fire.

Sprinkler system extinguishes fire at nightclub (Seattle, WA)

Firefighters were alerted to a fire at a nightclub at approximately 8:44 a.m. on Friday, April 18. When the fire crews entered the building, they found that the fire had been extinguished by the establishment's fire sprinkler system. Investigators discovered a melted container that had been placed on an active stove top; the fire had then spread to boxes and garbage cans that were close to the stove. The fire sprinkler limited the fire to the kitchen area, and no injuries were reported. 

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Damage minimized in parking garage thanks to fire sprinkler system (San Diego, CA)

A BMW caught fire in a parking garage structure underneath several restaurants on the morning of Monday, October 13. By the time firefighters arrived, most of the fire had been put out by the parking structure's fire sprinkler system, and the damage was limited to the automobile. No injuries were reported in the incident.

Fire controlled by sprinklers at apartment (Prescott, AZ)

Firefighters were called to a fire in an apartment unit on Saturday, October 12 when a pot of unattended cooking oil was left unattended on a hot stove. A fire ignited, and the fire sprinkler system activated, saving the structure.

Fire investigator Len DeJoria said, "The fire could have been a significant event. If the sprinkler had not had fire sprinklers, the building would have been a total loss."

Sprinklers make the difference in restaurant fire (Plano, TX)

A fire which began in a downtown Plano, Texas restaurant early Sunday, October 13 morning was called in by a police officer who saw smoke coming from the building. 56 fire personnel arrived to the scene and were able to put the fire out within 50 minutes thanks to the restaurant's fire sprinkler system which had already contained the fire. 

"The combination of fire sprinklers and the quick response of the firefighters made the difference in this fire," Fire Marshal David Kerr said. "Fires occurring when businesses are closed usually have the greatest delay in reporting a fire." 

Friday, October 11, 2013

Mother, two daughters escape apartment fire thanks to sprinkler system (Ithaca, NY)

An unattended pan left on the stove caught fire Wednesday evening in the West Hill Circle apartment complex but was quickly knocked down by the unit’s sprinkler system, according to Ithaca firefighters. A mother was home with her two young children when she left the kitchen. Firefighters said cooking oil left in an unattended pan ignited, causing a flash fire on the stove and the surrounding cabinets. The apartment was equipped with an automatic sprinkler system, and the head in the apartment's kitchen immediately activated, extinguishing the fire.

Arson fire in college residence hall controlled by sprinklers (Pueblo, CO)

A Colorado State University-Pueblo student was arrested late Sunday on suspicion of arson for allegedly setting fire to a residence hall on campus. At about 10:30 p.m. on Sunday police were dispatched to Culebra Hall on the CSU-Pueblo campus. When officers arrived they discovered an alarm was activated and sprinklers were going off inside the residence hall.

According to the affidavit, Cunningham said the man created a fireball by lighting a can of body spray and fuel he had on hand.  The fire eventually spread to a futon in the room and the fire activated the sprinkler system.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fire contained by sprinkler system at warehouse (Vacaville, CA)

A packing company was evacuated following a two-alarm fire on the afternoon of Wednesday, October 9. The warehouse's fire sprinkler helped to control the fire for the seven fire engines and three fire departments that arrived to the scene. No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire is under investigation.

Sprinkler system suppresses late night fire at University of Virginia (Charlottesville, VA)

A fire erupted in the third floor of the University of Virginia's Wilsdorf Hall on Tuesday, October 8. The late night fire was contained by the building's fire sprinklers until fire crews arrived to eliminate it completely. Occupants of the science building were able to evacuate safely, and the cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Fire sprinklers prove effectiveness in apartment fire (Charleston, SC)

Fire crews were alerted to a fire at a downtown Charleston apartment the afternoon of Wednesday, October 9. When they arrived, they found that the fire had been controlled by two sprinkler heads, and firefighters only had to use less than five gallons of water to douse the remaining flames thanks to the fire sprinkler system.

"Fire sprinklers are an invaluable tool to improve life safety and have the potential to reduce property damage," said Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh. "These systems are designed to control the fire or reduce the growth of the fire until the fire department can intervene. The sprinkler system in this case preserved the building and limited damages."

Sprinkler system aids firefighters in fraternity house fire (Medford, MA)

A fire began on the third floor of a college fraternity house on Wednesday, October 9, and fire crews are crediting the home's fire sprinkler system with saving the building.

Somerville Fire Chief Kevin Kelleher said, "It's a very old house, and without the fire sprinkler system, the fire would likely have spread to the roof."

The cause of the fire is under investigation, but early reports indicate that it was an electrical fire. There were no injuries reported.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fire contained by fire sprinklers at manufacturing plant (Rockford, IL)

At about 4:30 the morning of October 9, a machine inside a manufacturing plant caught fire, and fire crews arrived to find the fire controlled by the facility's fire sprinkler system. The firefighters extinguished the fire which had been contained to the machine that originally caught fire. No injuries were reported.

Sprinklers control fire at assisted living facility (Mystic, CT)

An early morning fire on October 7 brought the Mystic Fire Department to an assisted living facility. According to reports, a malfunctioning heating pad caused a mattress to catch fire, and the building's fire sprinkler contained the fire to that room until fire crews extinguished the remaining flames. All of the residents were able to evacuate safely and without injury.

Sprinklers make the difference in a condo fire on the 17th floor (Grand Rapids, MI)

Fire sprinkler system quickly extinguished a cooking fire on the 17th floor of the River House Condos on Tuesday. A grease fire on the stovetop spread to kitchen cabinets in a condo about 4:30 pm. The sprinkler system put out the flames. Firefighters had to reach the 17th floor to shut off the water, said Grand Rapids Fire Battalion Chief Kevin Sehlmeyer.

***Blog Editor's Note - Please let us know what you think of the coverage by MLive, who focused on water damage rather than the lives and property saved by the automatic fire sprinkler system ***