Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Sprinkler system extinguishes laundry room fire at Alzheimer's care facility (Edmonds, WA)

Dozens of residents at a Alzheimer's care facility escaped injuries in an early-morning laundry room fire that was quickly extinguished by a fire sprinkler system. “The building’s fire sprinkler system really made a big difference in the outcome of this fire. It kept the fire from spreading, prevented injuries and limited damage,” Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, said in a news release. No injuries were reported.

This is not the first time a fire sprinkler system has extinguished a blaze at the facility, fire officials said. In August 2011, a sprinkler put out a fire in a hot water tank near the facility's kitchen.

Fire in fifth-floor hotel room extinguished by sprinkler system (Pittsburgh, PA)

Pittsburgh firefighters responded to a fire in a fifth-floor room of an Upper Hill District hotel shortly after 11 p.m. Saturday. Sprinklers at the hotel extinguished the fire, and no one was injured, according to an Allegheny County emergency dispatcher. The county's 911 center received the call at 11:06 and firefighters reported that the fire was out 15 minutes later.

Fire sprinklers and working smoke alarms save child playing with matches (Salisbury, MD)

Fire crews were called to a two-story five unit apartment building just before 8:30 a.m. for a report of a fire. When firefighters arrived they found the fire was already extinguished in the four-year-old child's bedroom. Fire Marshals investigating the scene concluded that the child had been playing with matches and set a bed on fire. Working smoke alarms alerted the parents to the blaze and they were able to escape with the child and warn neighbors. A sprinkler in the child’s bedroom put out the fire.

“This is yet another example of the effectiveness of automatic fire sprinklers in residential occupancies. The presence of not only sprinklers but working smoke alarms and a home escape plan undoubtedly prevented a more tragic outcome” stated William E. Barnard, Maryland State Fire Marshal.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Sprinkler system puts out fire at high school (Fife, WA)

Crews were called to the scene of a reported fire at Fife High School, according to Tacoma Fire. The fire appears to have been put out by the school’s sprinkler system, Fire officials said. The fire started in a wood lathe machine in the shop facility and was quickly contained, according to Tacoma Fire. No one was injured.

Residential fire sprinklers make the difference in house fire (Tucson, AZ)

A Tucson family's home was saved after their fire sprinkler system extinguished a fire. Drexel Heights Fire responded to the house fire around 3 Saturday afternoon. According to Tracy Koslowski with Drexel Heights Fire, the homeowners called 9-1-1 after finding their fire sprinkler system had extinguished the fire while they were away from the house. Koslowski said the family could have found the house in flames, had they not had a fire sprinkler system.

Fire extinguished by sprinkler system at apartment complex (Happy Valley, OR)

Firefighters are crediting a residential sprinkler system for putting out a two-alarm apartment fire. Brandon Paxton, Clackamas Fire District 1 spokesman, said the sprinklers in the Town Center Station Apartments worked so well that the fire already was out when firefighters arrived after receiving a 10:22 p.m. 9-1-1 call. Firefighters found combustible materials on a kitchen range that ignited when the stove was turned on accidentally. "The key here was early detection," Paxton said. "The sprinkler system already in place did its job." Paxton said the fire was contained to one apartment, but easily could have spread to other units if the sprinkler system hadn't controlled it. No injuries were reported.

Apartment fire extinguished by sprinkler system (Asheville, NC)

On Friday evening the Asheville Fire Department was dispatched for a structure fire. The fire started in the bedroom, but was quickly extinguished by the sprinkler system within the unit, minimizing fire damage. The fire was ruled accidental.